Summaries of Twilight of the Golden Witch
This page contains, in bullet form, my summaries for my attempt in summarizing Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch. This page will be updated constantly as I play. This page is meant as a reference and not a replacement for Witch Hunt’s work so in the end, wait for them to finish.
You can also follow my posts at animesuki forums if you want. BTW I’m not formatting this as it is but an archive for reading.
So without further ado…
Twilight of the Golden Witch
- There are twopeople inside the chapel. They is an older brother 12 years older than his younger sister who is crying into his chest. He tries to comfort her. It is Battler and Ange.
– He mentions she has a golden key hung around her neck and that the time will come where she will need to use it. She doesn’t really understand him.
– He tells her it is time to talk about the story of the Rokkenjima incident, and how she will be the one to tell us (?) about it. He says it is time to learn the truth about everyone.
– Battler describes how he seems to have become a permanent fixture there, eternally looping and living the tragedy himself. Ange says she wants to go there. He says he can bring her,as the game master.
– She wonders if the family will welcome her, and he says they will. She wants to be there forever.
– He admonishes her wanting it. He says in the end it is her decision to see the truth here because she’snot supposed to be on the island officially. She has 2 days to discover the miracle to save them all (?). She still insists on wanting to be with him and the family forever.
– He says she will use her key to decidide on what she wants, and the truth(?) as well. She says she will trust him. If she doesn’t, he says she should just wake up from this dream. His words scare her. He says her decision will be the final arbiter as to the entire incident.
– (He therefore implies that the final decisions of the mystery are dependent on the truths and decisions Ange comes to, likely as an extension of us, the readers)
– He says she’ll give her the choices when the time comes. He already has his answer, and hopes she will have one when the time comes.
– She grasps the key and approaches a book on the altar. She asks if the key is for the book, but he gets angry and says the book is not good.
– She takes his hand and he leads her towards October 6, 1986. To Rokkenjima. The place where it all begins and ends.
Rokkenjima October 4,1986
– Battler is puking on the ship as Ange and Maria make fun of him. The adults and the remaining children enjoy their trip saying that it’s the first time everyone in the family came to the island complete. Kyrie says it’s almost a miracle Ange suddenly got better and joined them.
– Maria and Ange continue to make fun of Battler as they arrive on the island.
– On arrival, Battler dives into the flower fields and the two younger girls argue who was first to get on the mansion grounds. George and Battler tease each other.
– Shannon tells Krauss and Natsuhi that the family has arrived. They order to to start preparing the rooms and the tea and tell Kinzo.
– Krauss goes to Kinzo’s room and meets Nanjo. Inside is… uh… some form of Kinzo that’s really not the Kinzo we know of. A more bizarre incarnation of sorts, though he’s supposed to be dead, so this is itself questionable.
– Shannon helps Gohda prepare tea. He explains to her the concept of restaurant food’s taste and customer preferences. Kumasawa says it is a servants duty to know what their masters like. Genji checks on them.
– A call comes telling Shannon and Kumasawa to lead the family, Gohda to finish the tea and Kanon to prepare the rooms.
– Kanon attends to the family. Krauss and Natsuhi greet them, saying it is fortunate Ange was able to come. Maria says magic helped Ange. Adults mention that Battler has grown in six years. The other kids say they were surprised on seeing him. They feel a bit of pity for what he had to go through. Everyone makes fun of his motion sickness.
– Rosa asks Ange and Maria to stop running around. Shannon brings in the tea. They gossip a bit about clothes and stuff.
– With the tea are halloween style cookies that fascinates Maria. She notices that the tea smells of pumpkins. Everyone compliments the tea.
– Crazy… uh… version of Kinzo arrives and wishes everyone a happy halloween. Trick or treat! The adults are embvarassed. Ange doesn’t get it. He greets his grandkids. Ange hands Kinzo a gift from Kyrie. Genji tells Kinzo that he’s acting like a kid. Kinzo apologizes for not having cake.
– Crazy Kinzo hands Maria a gift. He fawns over her as Genji gives up reminding him to act with dignity. The other kids hand Kinzo their presents.
– Battler greets him, and Kinzo is just ecstatic that he’s back and embraces him. Ange is just confused.
– Narrator (Ange?) is confused that Crazy Kinzo is not the stern and angry Kinzo she had always heard of in previous games. Kinzo however shows a serious face when she presents her gift. At that point, he bursts into tears and exclaims that he’s happy to have such wonderful grandkids. He’s crying already.
– Ange finds this entire yearly tradition odd, especially all this gift giving. This isn’t the family conference she knows. Gohda arrives to usher them for lunch.
– Shannon and Kanon will bring the presents to the rooms. The family sits in a less restrictive manner so conversations gowell. Everyone speaks freely and comfortably. Even Crazy Kinzo joins them. They’re all happy it seems.
– They talk about the incoming bad weather and how Kinzo doesn’t leave the island. He says he wants to live alone with his family because he is old. The children decide to go to the beach and the rose garden after eating. They’ll have a contest on who can pick the most beautiful stone on the beach.
– The kids play on the beach. Ange is a bit down it seems and apart from the other cousins. Battler knows something is wrong but she doesn’t want to talk about it.
– They return to the guest house as the clouds darken and the wind picks up. At the guesthouse Maria shows Rosa the stone she got. Jessica goes back to her room. George now notices that Ange is feeling down. He returns to the guesthouse. Battler seems tounderstand what is wrong with her. They both take a walk around the garden.
– They start their meta talk. Ange doesn’t feel right with this happy setting, but Battler says this is indeed Rokkenjima on October 4, 1986. She is irritated by the fact that this Kinzo is a happy crazy person.
– Ange is in a fit about Kinzo’s entire personality and temperament. He’s supposed to be a severe, controlling and eccentric person. Battler suggests that this is probably the way outsiders view Kinzo (?), but in reality Kinzo is much different to his family (?).
– Battler suggests that the parents probably also propagated this sort of view on their grandfather. Ange feels scared. She claims to remember his as a scary person. She insists on what she knows.
– He admits that he still dabbled in the occult at times. He says that perhaps Ange doesn’t really “remember”the truth. She refuses to believe it.
– She also refuses to believe that no one is discussing the inheritance. She remembers the bickering and the violent arguments. He explains what she seems to believe about the discussion. She asks if this will happen. He asks why she refuses to accept what she is experiencing now.
– She wants to know why he’s showing her these things. She wants to know the truth of the game since the witches have been toying with them for so long. He says this is still his game, therefore it is his story. She calls bullshit. She insists he is lying to her.
– Battler’s intentions here is to show Ange something more than a simple truth. He is still inheriting the game from Beato. He says he wants to show it to Ange, but she says she came here to know the truth and not some sweet fantasy.
– She throws a fit saying she’ll find the truth herself. She doesn’t want to lose anyone. She will act on her own and not necessarily with Battler.
- Back to the garden, the weather shifts. He intends to go back to the guesthouse. A golden mist seems to cover the garden. She notices some sort of figure going down to the port.
– Beato arrives and Battler greets. He introduces Ange to Beato, that she is the witch of gold and all that people think she is on the island. Ange says she’snot the scary witch she was taught to believe. She’s more the witch Maria describes.
– Battler and Beato talk. She notices Ange’s key. She says with the key Ange can finally decide on her own. She and Battler are merely guides. No one can take the key from Ange due to magic. Ange still doesn’t believe in such magic.
– She wants proof of Beato’s magic. Beato shows her left hand. Ange checks it around. Beato sticks out her index finger and waves her left hand around. Ange tries to follow but loses sight eventually. Beatoopens her hand and shows candy. Ange thinks it’s a trick. He says it may as well be magic.
– Beato and Battler kid around a bit like old friends. They decide to return to the guesthouse.
– In the distinguished guestroom Kinzo and Beato have a good chat. They talk about how Battler has changed. Ange wonders a bit about the relationship. Genji arrives with Krauss and Natsuhi. Ange is by the window.
– Everyone has a seat. Beato was initially worried that Ange doesn’t like her. Battler disagrees but Beato says he doesn’t really understand a woman’s heart.
– Kinzo thanks her for her help in the past. Everyone also thanks her. They speak about the 10t of gold. They say how the familyline was ruined but the gold she gave saved it.
– Kinzo says with his age this may be the last time they ever meet. They may not meet next year again. Kinzo says he has a story to tell.
– Kinzo recounts the story of the family fall and the miracle of the gold from Beato. He says it is Beato’s.
– Krauss accepts that he may not inherit the wealth, though says it is hard to accept it. The family will accept returning the gold to Beato.
– Kinzo will not divide up the estate (sans gold?) between the family members. Battler and Beato talk by the window. She says her long wait is over. Her loneliness is over, Battler suggests (?). They reminisce (?) over their past experiences like a couple.
– They explain to Ange that this isn’t simply a mystery to solve, but a story about one’s perceptions on truth. The key she has then is her key to open the cat box (nekohako). She has the power to choose and believe what she wants to. She is still irate, wanting to know the absolute truth of the incident.
– She still wants to know the truth of the culprit, and Beato asks why she’s so intent in being right. Ange wants to know why the message bottles were set adrift. (Probable mistranslation: I do believe she answers that it adds depth to the mystery?). She likens it to Agatha Christie’s novel.
– Ange accusses her of stirring up chaos and anger with the gold and her supposed magic, planned the murders, to achieve some goal. Beato is evasive and this angers Ange.
– Ange says she will reach the truth of Beato without Battler if she has to. She throws another fit. Battler asks them to stop arguing. They are tired, and Beato asks Genji to take Battler and Ange to the guesthouse.
– Ange is sleepy now as he takes her to the rooms. Kinzo prepares the inheritance before his life ends they discuss with Genji. He says that now, the family is out of Beato’s responsibility. There will be a party where the gold is handed over and returned and the inheritance is set in place. Genji says Kinzo is now closing the book on his lifeand passing it on.
– Ange falls asleep in Battler’s arms. They reach the guest house.
– Narrator ponders the possibilites of the murders and whether a bomb did go off and at what time. It might have been possible that some sort of bomb does go off at midnight before October 6, 1986, based on the clock in the mansion. He suggests the possibility that this is Kinzo’swork.
– The explanation comes from Ootsuki, who is explaining the popular theories. He talks about the approaches people have when investigating. He seems to be talkign directly to the reader?
– He reiterates the belief that Eva survived by hiding at Kuwadorian through the passage, and at midnight the disaster happened. Ange continues that with this event, the evidence is erased and the true fate of the family becomes unknown. Some theorists think that Eva knew of the bomb tied to the clock and activated it. Eva refused to comment about the events at all, claiming not to remember.
– (this refers to Episode 3 events btw)
– Ootsuki says without Eva the catbox remained essentially closed, and she died leaving it unopened. Without the truth, the only conclusion is that she did it all. They all called her criminal, whether it is true or not, because it remained the only possible explanation.
– Further police investigations revealed nothing more. Ange feels hate for her and her silence.
– Amakusa and Ange are riding on a highway and talking. Amakusa talks about his mercenary days and his experiences in war, especially suicide bombers and child soldiers. He speaks about how for some, revenge is their reason for fighting.
– He talks about how even kids, when given a gun, kill when fuelled with revenge. The kids are bred and made to be soldiers. Ange says she doesn’t want to feel revenge anymore.
– They discuss her leap from the building and their journey. Much of this sounds like banter so I won’t type it up.
– They eventually speak about the nature of this journey, and how even the police never managed to discover anything incriminating. Amakusa seems to suggest that at least at one time, Ange was fuelled by revenge and regret.
– She then realizes she likens herself to those child soldiers who live in anger and hatred, fuelled by the need to exact revenge on those who wronged her. Exposing the truth might get her the revenge she wants.
– In her sleep, Ange wonders why Battler insists on not flat out giving her the truth. She wonders what is going on with Battler’s mind that he prefers a more roundabout way of doing this.
October 4, 1986
– It begins to rain as the children play cards in the guesthouse. Battler is winning. They talk about the food and the halloween party Shannon told them of. Ange knocks after waking up from sleeping in their parent’s room. Kyrie and Rudolph arrive too and asks them about the food.
– Kanon arrives with Hideyoshi to usher everyone to the party. Everyone else is outside the rooms and ready to go. The adults are doting all over Ange. Everyone heads to the mansion.
– The main room is designed in a halloween theme. Beato is there in her dress. They thank her for this party. The party is also to celebrate the turnover. Battler and Ange have a short talk then she goes over to Eva.
– Genji starts the handover ceremony. A goldingot with a red bow is presented. Kinzo hands it over to her in a symbolic gesture. Beato acknowledges the fulfillment of the agreement between her grandmother and Kinzo many years ago. Platitudes and all that. Everyone approves.
– The distribution of inheritance was announced. He will give it out while he is still alive. The adults feel a bit of guilt and are teary-eyed. Everyone parties on.
– The adults are united to support a new head. The children and the servants applaude.
– Ange is rather mystified by this, as in her own experiences the adults bicker and fight over the money. She still sees this all as a farce of Battler’s game.
– Ange wants this truth in red, and Battler respons with a possibility that if this cannot be said in red, then is it automatically a lie? Ange becomes silent in her refusal to believe.
– Ange remembers how given the twists and turns of the games, red was the only thing she could rely on as truth. As long as it is not denied, she is entitled to her own truths. She will decide her own truths.
– Clock hits 1am, champagne is opened and the party continues courtesy of Gohda. Everyone’s mixing and having a damn good time. Beato performs some of her magic. Ange has a drink from Rudolph’s alcohol. She becomes all excited and the adults make fun of her.
– Battler and Beato have a talk about their games and their responsibilities when they were game masters. They agree that they allowed Ange here so that she can finally put the closing to the truth of the incident with her key. Right now they just want to enjoy the evening. Everyone has made splendid performances.
– Gohda brings in a Sacher cake (probably as Sacher torte, a type of chocolate cake in Austria I think) in the form of a winged crest. He and Kinzo say there’s a secret in the cake. The girsl say almonds. The one who gets the almond in the cake becomes “king” for tonight (King’s game most likely). The king gets one wish.
– Ange is allowed the first pick of the cake, but of course says that she has lower chances of getting it right at 1/15 probability.
– CHOOSE YOUR CAKE SLICE! (I have no idea if this even matters).
– When Ange chooses, Gohda slices. Ange makes a meta-allusion of this to the catbox, that you never really know until you decide to open it, and even then there is already a predetermined result.
– Ange checks around to see if someone got the almond. None of the others got it so Battler asks Ange to check hers. She finds an almond in her cake, but so does Eva. Krauss asks why there are two almonds. The servants are a bit confused. Gohda admits it may be his mistake and says maybe they should play jakenpon.
The Fifteen Quizzes
(I’m not going to detail the quizzes because I’m going to answer them in their correct form. It takes too long to ACCURATELY translate them and I’m not good enough to do that for others to read and take as the original form. Some of these are Japanese vocabulary quizzes on Katakana and Hiragana, which needs a degree of language familiarity to even comprehend. The others are abstract/logic pattern recognition quizzes and the rest and analysis questions, which are easier to solve for me.)
- At quiz 1 (Kinzo), we get some background on the memories of Genji and Kinzo’s friendship with Beato. She asks Ange to one day recall the smile she shows Kinzo.
– Ange looks around on who will ask next. She has problems choosing the next questioner.
– At quiz 2 and 3 (Hideyoshi and Eva), we get a scene on Eva and Hideyoshi, which shows that they are rather nice people in reality. Eva calls herself a bad mother for the way she acts, but Hideyoshi says she tries her best. She speaks of the horrible way she treated Ange when, after Episode 3, she was the only survivor to take care of Ange. She laments her faultand sin towards her. Rudolph and Kyrie thank her for trying her best to take care of Ange during that time.
– At quiz 4 and 5 (Gohda and Kumasawa), they talk about how Ange is maturing into a fine young lady. She is likened to an egg that is taken cared of to hatch when the time is right. They shouldn’t force her to hatch against her will. She can become a good girl not tied to the sadness of the past. She has a future ahead.
– At quiz 6 and 7 (Nanjo and Genji) it is discussed why Genji uses a trick question. They talk about how they would sometimes used cheap tricks when playing chess with Kinzo. We get background on the shared past of Genji and Kinzo. We learn that Genji is from Taiwan and met Kinzo there and they became like brothers. We learn that Kinzo tried to get Genji’s family to leave the island due to the war. Due to the debacle it seems only Genji survived and has dedicated his life to Kinzo.
– At quiz 8 and 9 (Natsuhi and Krauss) she is reminded of her own choice to abandon that orphan so many years ago as she seems to speak to Beato. She sort of apologizes for what she had chosen to be done to her at that time, after seeing the way Ange is acting as a little girl. She wonders what would have happened if she never let the child fall down the cliff. Beato harbors no grudge it seems, so Natsuhi should stop carrying the cross on her shoulders. Beato gives Natsuhi a hug (awww….). Hell Beato calls her oka-san (shortcut for mother).
– At quiz 10 and 11 (Kanon and Shannon) both are happy that the games are about to end and closure for their fates are about to come. They acknowledge how this is like a catbox that will not be opened. They talk about their relationships and their beliefs. The box must be opened if they ever hope to get a world that they can be with the ones they love. Both actually call for their “duel” on who becomes the “real person”, by coin flip or pistols. They decide to do it by a quiz too.
– At quiz 12 and 13 (Rosa and Maria) Sakutaro (Yay!) wonders why Maria gave such a hard question. They talkabout Battler’s desire to use this game and get some sort of happiness for Ange. Ange was the one who understood Maria’s magic. They want Ange to believe in one’s personal maic again. Even Battler understood magic. She laments that even if the best end cannot be accomplished, at least allow some sort of joy for Ange.
– At quiz 14 and 15 (Kyrie and Rudolph) the quiz game ends. Ange asks what Kinzo would give her. Kyrie and Rudolph talk about Battler. RUDOLPH REVEALS THAT HE SWITCHED THE BASSINETS OF ASUMU AND KYRIE. THUS, BATTLER IS KYRIE’S BIOLOGICAL SON! He did this to prevent the fact that he had an affair secret by making his mistress’ son his wife’s. He wants to apologize for doing this to them. In this catbox he says the truth must finally come out. Both of them sob.
– For Jessica and George, they have 3 boxes to put the medal in, and not all boxes are correct. A red, blue and a green box. She is to find the box where the medal goes in to. Ange chooses the red box. They ask if this is her final choice. Ange says that all the boxes look the same except for color so there’s no reason for her to change her mind. The box makes a surprise sound and Ange starts to rethink her choice.
– At quiz 16 and 17 (George and Jessica, actually only one quiz but you get two medals), they tell that in the cake slice choice the influence of the servants affected her choice and helped narrow down the potentialchoices (?). What was supposed to be a 1/20 chance became a 1/15 chance. George is impressed that Ange understands probabilities at 6 years old.
– Ange is sleepy now so the quiz game ends. George and Jessica talk about the cake and the chances of getting the right slice. Like in reality, the information you get can affect the choices you make, eliminating some options and increases the chances of getting the right answer. It’s your choice to accept them or not.
– Ange is too sleepy to continue so Battler and Beato decide to put off their quiz. She falls asleep as the rest of the family quiet down. They enjoyed playing the game with her. Kinzo hopes to change the tyrannical view of him. Nanjo hopes that in the 18 years after she finds a good life (?).
– Krauss says she is the last grandchild of the family and they pray for her good fortune. Natsuhi says happiness isn’t only found but made. Hideyoshi and Eva talk about how their lives are inside this catbox.
– THE NARRATOR SUGGESTS THAT THIS PARTY, AS WELL, IS THE FAMILY’S CHANCE TO SAY GOODBYE TO ANGE. EVERYONE SPEAKS LIKE THEY ARE INDEED SAYING GOODBYE.
– The family gives words of wisdom forAnge as she sleeps. They leave after saying goodbyes, and Battlerand Beato approach her. They ask her to remember the good times they had and not be bound. They tell her to live, even without them.
– Beato admits that this is a fantasy made for this visit of Ange. Eva is still apologetic. The adults say she should stop beating herself up over it. She does see Ange as the daughter she never had.
– Genji brings Ange to the drawing room to sleep. Shannon tells Kinzo that Ange got 17 medals. He tells them to put a card beside Ange where she sleeps. A stuffed toy is also placed there. They leave her to sleep.
– Beato scatters gold dust all over the party room as Battler thanks everyone for their participation. He readorns the GM cape. Ronove and Virgilia appear and speak with Beato. The seven sisters of purgatory attend to them. They express their thanks for the final game.
– The siestas appear as well. Beato says that this game is not yet completely concluded. Gaap, Zepar and Furfur greet George and Jessica. Maria and Sakutaro play around.
– Dlanor and her attendants thank Battler for the invitation. She shows him the invitation he had for Erika but Dlanor says they cannot find her.
– Lambda warps in saying it’s her obligation. He says this is the last time for participants in the game to celebrate. Bern should be here shortly.
– Will and Lion are also invited. Will and Dlanor seem to be previously acquainted. Lion introduces themselves as people from another kakera. Beato and Lion recognize each other (perchance knowing they are the same person). Lion says they were colleagues at the inquisition.
– Battler and Beato have a toast. Maria wants some champagne but Geaorge and Rosa stop her. Ronove gathers everyone to listen.
– Battler thanks everyone for their participation in the game, as he is the game master. He toasts everyone.
– In the drawing room, Ange wakes up with tears and finds herself under a blanket. She wants to go where everyone else is. The door to the hall refuses to open even with a key. She tries to force it open.
– She feels the wind blowing on her hair. The windows are open. She sees what looks like the eyes of a cat. She hears a bell, probably on said cat. It seems tolead her towards the outside through the window. She follows it outside towards the party hall windows. She knocks but no one seems to hear.
– She continues to follow the cat to the mansion grounds. She tries to pet the cat which jumps into the bushes and into a dark window. Ange enters the darkened room. She switches on the light to the dining room…
– BLOOD STAIN! SHE SEES WHAT LOOKS LIKE CORPSES OF HER PARENTS.
– People are arguing at the party. Likely due to the alcohol. Most of the party goers are already drunk. Nanjo is talking about Van Dyne with Will. Lots of party chitchat that is likely not really important. Lion is quite literally pinching asses. Real characters, meta characters and servants are mixing together.
– Battler asks Shannon for the key to the drawing room to checkon Ange. They knock on the door but no one answers. They unlock and enter. Ange is not inside. Shannon thinks she came out the window. Battler is worried because, as the GM, this is an unexpected event.
– Lambda runs some quizzes in the party. Bern appears at the party and apologizes for being late. Will and Lion aren’t amused. Lambda welcomes her. Battler and Beato greet her. Battler tells Beato that Ange disappeared. Lambda asks if this is part of his game.
– Bern acts concerned. Battler asks if it’s possible for someone to take her away unknown to her but Beato says it should be impossible.
– BERN WANTS TO CHALLENGE BATTLER AND BEATO. Lambda says Bern has not yet let go of this (?).
– Beato says this challenge for the final game will be tough. They will accept under the condition that she will return Ange. Bern accepts the condition. She and Lambda toast. Lambda will be arbiter of the final match.
– Both sides start preparations. Battler says all he wanted was to reach the truth in his fight with Erika. Bern says she simply wanted to win. Bern asks if they want Erika back to participate, and Battler agrees. They consider her part of this story. They both agree to take no prisoners.
– Battler narrates that taking a hostage was unecessary because he would have agreed to a duel anyway. Bern says she really doesn’t care about a piece named Erika. Battler thanks her for this final battle.
– Lanbda asks Zepar and Furfur to close down the party.
– Players are transported to the metaroom where the game is held. The game is prepared. The scenario is drawn.
– The kakera is presented. They discuss the colored text and it’s use for this final game. Bern says this isn’t like the previous human versus magic mysteries anymore. She will request an answer from them at the end of the story. Lambda declares that this final game is completely solvable. An answer can be obtained.
– Battler thanks Lambda for allowing this to be a fair game. The players and judge exchange pleasantries and respects. Bern wants to feel the excitement of the struggle once again. Battler says that no matter the outcome,they will become friends.
– Lambda asks Bern to begin the reading. Bern says she prefers the game not having the bias from her POV in reading. Beato says it is her right as GM. Battler agrees to read the story themselves.
– Both sides start their… friendly trash talking. Battler and Beato declare their goal. Bern responds with her own.
– Bern raises her hand as the light fills the room.
– THE FINAL BATTLE OF ROKKENJIMA BEGINS.